The Sponsored Programs Officer (SPO) functions in a high level professional capacity to facilitate research and sponsored activity across the University while constantly striving to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of research administration services and to minimize institutional financial and reputational risk. He/she is a research administration subject matter expert (SME) who provides guidance and mentoring to college-level Hub administrators to ensure best practices in pre-award administration and award acceptance and modification. The SPO provides the final institutional review of grant and contract proposals before submission to ensure responsiveness to sponsor requirements, the appropriate application of costing principles, the ethical conduct of project activities, and compliance with government and sponsor regulations and UNC and ECU policies regarding sponsored activity. The SPO reviews and accepts unilateral awards on behalf of the University, reviews routine bilateral awards and secures appropriate signatures, and administers award modifications.
- Manage an assigned sponsored projects portfolio, focusing on final proposal review and submission, award acceptance, and post-award modifications.
- Provide expert guidance and mentoring to Hub and other unit administrators and non-Hub supported faculty regarding fundamental approaches to successful grantsmanship and policies and procedures related to crafting, constructing, and submitting high-quality grant proposals and contract bids; in interpreting sponsor application requirements and preparing proposals and budgets (including addressing compensation/time allocation issues, cost-sharing, choice and application of F&A rate); and in utilizing sponsor form sets, electronic proposal submission systems, and sponsor grant management systems. Maintain/share knowledge of award management practices with these constituents to inform effective project design and development, and assist them as necessary in negotiating internal approval procedures for proposal submission.
- Identify and communicate with internal and external personnel whose cooperation is key to proposal success. Collaborate with Hub administrators and other unit administrators, associate deans for research, center/institute directors, and external points of contact to ensure investigators preparing proposals are fully supported. Consult with University personnel to address issues that may interfere with proposal submission. Professionally balance the criticality of institutional processes with firm proposal submission deadlines.
- Provide the final institutional review of funding proposals submitted by Hub administrators and non-Hub supported faculty for compliance with sponsor and University requirements. Using a variety of electronic systems, submit proposals to sponsors on behalf of the institution under delegated authority from the Chancellor and the AVC for Research Administration. Conduct, facilitate, manage, and document official communication with external funding entities to monitor and, as needed, to assist Hub and other administrators in coordinating revisions to the budget, aims, work plan, project dates, and deliverables associated with sponsored projects.
- Review, modify as necessary, and accept unilateral sponsored project agreements and prepare for signature routine bilateral contracts with external governmental, philanthropic, and corporate funding entities. As necessary, assist in negotiating non-routine bilateral funding agreements.
- Assist and advise Hub and other administrators, non-Hub supported faculty, and project teams in the non-financial aspects of award management.
- Develop and recommend solutions to problems that confront ORA, Hub and other administrators, investigators, and project teams. Identify personnel with knowledge, responsibility, and authority (e.g. University leadership, administrative services, institutional risk management, university attorneys, and compliance offices), translate and interpret challenges as they relate to sponsored projects, and link such personnel with Hub and other administrators, investigators, and project teams for problem resolution.
- Ensure comprehensive and accurate official University records of proposal submissions and award receipts in University's Electronic Research Administration (eRA) system to ensure quality data for operational and strategic planning and assessment purposes. Provide training and support to Hub administrators and faculty regarding eRA system navigation and use.
- Participate effectively in review and development of institutional policy and procedures to ensure application of best practices in pursuing and managing sponsored projects and in complying with federal and state requirements.
- Develop and disseminate, both formally and informally, information, documentation, and tools that improve the practice of research administration to personnel both within and without the University.
Special Instructions To Application:
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required; for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity or professional-level background in sponsored research administration, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
Progressively responsible professional level experience in a university, academic medical center, or non-profit research institute in a pre-award or combined pre- and post-award environment; or related experience in a governmental or non-profit setting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Full time or Part time: Full Time
Position Location (city): Greenville
Position Number: 500220
Organizational Unit Overview:
The Division of Research, Economic Development and Engagement (REDE) is responsible for research policy and integrity, research administration and contract negotiations across ECU and leads economic and community engagement initiatives including partnerships with public sector agencies, industry, military, and other organizations in pursuit of scholarly activities, economic development and community engagement. The division directs new intellectual enterprises, including technology transfer. REDE is responsible for the following units under its umbrella: Office of Community Engagement & Research, Office of Continuing and Professional Education, Office of Human Subjects Protections, Office of Innovation & New Ventures, Office of Licensing & Commercialization, Office of National Security & Industry Initiatives, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Office of Research Administration, Office of Research Development, Office of Research Integrity & Compliance, Office of Undergraduate Research, and the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee.
To be a national model for student success, public service and regional transformation, East Carolina University uses innovative learning strategies and delivery methods to maximize access; prepares students with the knowledge, skills and values to succeed in a global, multicultural society; develops tomorrow's leaders to serve and inspire positive change; discovers new knowledge and innovations to support a thriving future for eastern North Carolina and beyond; transforms health care, promotes wellness, and reduces health disparities; and improves qualify of life through cultural enrichment, academics, the arts, and athletics. We accomplish our mission through education, research, creative activities, and service while being good stewards of the resources entrusted to us. East Carolina University delivers on the promise of opportunity. We open doors. We improve lives. We transform the present, and we discover the future. In these ways and more, we serve our community, our state, our nation and our world as together we reach toward our greatest potential. Tomorrow starts here.
BACK TO TOP
For customer support, please call 1-888-491-8833. We are open Monday - Friday 8:30am (EST) - 5:30pm (EST)