The Modeling Virtual Environments and Simulations (MOVES) Institute at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California has a requirement for a Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor with expertise in human-computer interface design, development, and evaluation. The candidate would be responsible for: (a) planning, managing, and executing research in human-computer interaction for a variety of military applications, (b) new program development in modeling and simulation and human-computer interaction, and (c) advising graduate students at both the Masters and PhD levels. Expertise in field of light displays, holographic displays, large-scale projection, AR/XR, and related technologies is of particular interest.
The expected starting date for the candidate will be on or after 1 September, 2021.
• The minimum educational requirement is a Ph.D in Modeling & Simulation, Computer Science, Human Factors, or in a closely related academic field.
• The applicant must have a minimum of three years of experience working as a researcher in an academic setting in modeling & simulation, human-computer interface design, development, and evaluation, or training system assessment.
• The applicant must have a demonstrated record of scholarship (e.g., publications in academic journals and conference proceedings, and other professional activities) commensurate with the position rank.
• The applicant should have demonstrated project management experience.
• Must be able to complete and successfully pass a security background investigation.
• Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Prior experience in federal research and development (Department of Defense is preferred).
• Prior experience managing a research team (preferably at a government research institution or university).
• Veteran or prior military experience.
A letter of application including CV, statements of research and teaching interests, and the names and addresses of three or more references should be sent to:
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants with foreign education will be required to select from a list of private organizations that are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES), which provide foreign education evaluations acceptable to NPS.
The Naval Postgraduate School is an equal opportunity employer. For additional information about NPS, please refer to the website at http://www.nps.edu.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE A VETERAN, Veteran’s preference is treated as a positive merit factor for NPS faculty positions. We strongly encourage you to indicate if you are a veteran in your application when applying to NPS positions and you must provide a copy of your signed DD-214 (member 4 copy), Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation.
Internal Number: 610-3951393
About Naval Postgraduate School
The mission of the Naval Postgraduate School is to provide relevant and unique advanced education and research programs to increase the combat effectiveness of commissioned officers of the Naval Service to enhance the security of the United States. In support of the foregoing, and to sustain academic excellence, NPS and the DON foster and encourage a program of relevant and meritorious research which both supports the needs of Navy and Department of Defense while building the intellectual capital of Naval Postgraduate School faculty.