This is a full-time civilian faculty position at the U.S. Army War College as provided under Title 10 USC 4021. Initial appointment may be up to three years, with the first year as a trial period. The appointment may be renewed in one to five year increments thereafter. Academic rank and salary will be based on the selectee's academic credentials, experience, and professional accomplishments; however, the focus and salary is at the Assistant/Associate Professor level.
• Teaching core courses related to strategic leadership and defense management, and contributing to the development of these courses.
• Designing and teaching elective courses.
• Master contemporary applications of strategic leadership at the individual and organizational level that involve strategic thinking, communicating, visioning, decision-making, negotiations, and leading change.
• Engage in scholarship that advances knowledge in fields relevant to the Army War College curriculum and/or to leadership development in the U.S. Army.
• Providing counsel to mid-career professionals.
• Engaging in external service in support of the U.S. Army, including consulting, leader development, and applied research.
• Contributing to the Army War College mission by fulfilling faculty duties as required.
25% or less - Travel (domestic and/or international) may be required up to 25% of the time.
Job family (Series)
0101 Social Science
Conditions Of Employment
• Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
• Must be able and willing to travel worldwide.
• Must provide official college transcripts, upon request. Unofficial transcripts are suitable for application purposes.
• Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements (pre-employment and randomly after appointment).
• Must be available for employment not later than 1 July 2021.
Who May Apply:
To qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your curriculum vitae or résumé must clearly describe your relevant experience. College transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Additional information about transcripts is available at http://www.armycivilianservice.com/JOA/Transcripts.pdf
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTORS/KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Applicants will be rated based on the criteria listed below by a panel of subject matter experts appointed with the purpose of identifying the best qualified candidates.
1. Must have an established record of superlative teaching at the undergraduate, graduate, and/or Senior Service College level. Must demonstrate preparedness for teaching mature, professional students.
2. Record of scholarly research and publication-or evidence of great potential for such research and publication-in areas relevant to the curriculum, to include management, organizational psychology, sociology, decision science, or economics.
3. Ability to prepare, teach, and lecture on subjects related to strategic leadership and defense management.
4. The ability to conceptualize, design, and write lesson plans that support the Resident Education Program (REP) at the U.S. Army War College.
5. Refined oral and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as a student advisor for written research projects.
6. Must have an advanced degree in a relevant field. A Ph.D. or equivalent research degree (e.g., Juris Doctor) is preferred. Related fields include management, organizational psychology, sociology, decision science, or economics.
Some federal jobs, this one included, allow substitution of strong education credentials for professional experience to qualify.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience.
For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited
• Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
• Must provide official college transcripts upon request (unofficial transcripts are required at the time of application).
• Include the job announcement number on your application.
Submission Process: Please note that this is NOT a Title 5 (General Scale) position, and the routine procedures for filing through the USAJobs.gov automated system should NOT be followed. Instead, please submit your complete application package and any requests for further information directly to the G1 Office at the email address listed below.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
U.S. Army War College Office of the G1 46 Ashburn Drive (Anne Ely Hall, Room 233) Carlisle Barracks, PA 17013
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, etc.) will be reviewed by a specifically appointed panel of subject matter experts assigned to determine your eligibility, qualifications and quality ranking for this position. The selection committee will determine how well you meet the qualifications noted above. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Please see the list of requirements in the "How to Apply" section.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates could contain personal information for someone other than the applicant. Redact these documents to remove the personal information of others before submitting your application. You may be asked to provide an un-redacted version of the documents to confirm your eligibility for selection.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the job announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the items listed below.
Applications must be postmarked or e-dated by the closing date of this job announcement. Please include the job announcement number on the application.
Army network servers have an overall limit of 10 MB per email. To ensure delivery of your application, we recommend that applicants limit overall email size to no more than 5-8 MB. You may send documents in several emails to reduce overall size.
The USAWC G1 will provide email confirmation of all received applications. If you do not receive delivery confirmation within three business days please contact the USAWC G1 at (717) 245-4596 or (717) 961-2256 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Failure to provide these documents may result in disqualification for the position. Please note that this is not a Title 5 (General Scale) position, and the routine procedures for filing through the USAJobs.gov automated system should NOT be followed. Instead, please submit your complete application package and any requests for further information directly to the email address listed below.
1. Letter of application addressing the required KSAs and other qualifications, as listed in the QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED section above.
2. Curriculum vitae or résumé.
3. Proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e., copy of birth certificate or passport).
4. Up to three samples of written scholarship (Electronic format is preferred, as hard copies will not be returned without a self-addressed and metered envelope.)
5. Academic transcripts (undergraduate and graduate level). Unofficial transcripts are required with your application submission. You must provide official college transcripts upon request.
6. List of four disinterested professional references (i.e., persons who can affirm the candidate's qualifications but have no stake in the outcome of the selection).
7. Documentation supporting any request for Veteran's Preference (such as a DD Form 214 and/or VA statement of disability).
8. A short narrative of one page or less that describes how you would contribute to an atmosphere of diversity at the U.S. Army War College through teaching, scholarship, and/or service.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Both paper and electronic submissions are acceptable, but the latter is strongly encouraged. The preferred method of submission is by e-mail with .pdf attachments.
Submit your complete application package and any requests for further information to:
U.S. Army War College Office of the G1 46 Ashburn Drive (Anne Ely Hall, Room 233) Carlisle Barracks, PA 17013
The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) is the U.S. Army's most senior institution for professional military education.
It educates the top echelon of U.S. military officers of all services, U.S. government civilians, and military officers from up to 80 foreign countries yearly; and develops strategic leaders by providing a variety of rigorous curricula of theoretical and professional subjects. The curriculum is delivered two ways -- through a ten-month resident program (about 385 students) and a two-year distance education program (about 750 students); both lead to a Master's of Strategic Studies accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In addition to the Master's degree, the USAWC administers numerous professional development programs focused on strategic thinking and leadership.
The principal organizations of the USAWC are the School of Strategic Landpower, Center for Strategic Leadership, Strategic Studies Institute, and the Army Heritage and Education Center. They work collectively to accomplish the institution's mission: "Educate and develop leaders for service at the strategic level while advancing knowledge in the global application of land power."
The USAWC is located at idyllic Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, home to a historic Army post that provides a collegial, vibrant, and secure work environment for its employees. The post is one of central Pennsylvania's largest and most respected employers.
The application review process to determine if you meet the experience and education requirements found in the job announcement begins upon the closing date of the announcement. If you are one of the top candidates, you may be invited to interview by the selection official. If selected, you will receive a tentative job offer. Depending on the strength of the applicant pool, this process may take several months after the closing date of the job announcement.
Please follow all instructions carefully, as failure to submit a complete application could invalidate your submission. In this regard, please be sure to read the HOW TO APPLY and REQUIRED DOCUMENTS sections.
DO NOT upload application materials to the USAJobs.gov resume submission system. Submit application packages and requests for further information directly to: