Montgomery County is seeking to fill the Director for the Office of Public Information. The position is appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. This position is accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The Director of the Office of Public Information serves as the spokesperson for the Executive branch of the County Government and directs the operation of the Office of Public Information. This position advises on complex, sensitive and/or controversial matters of public information and media relations; planning and coordinating major media events or responses to controversial issues with representatives of the media. The work has significant impact on public perception and understanding of programs and functions of the County government an of the government’s ability to respond to problems and issues of public concern.
The candidate will have high expectations of himself/herself and other staff, pay attention to detail after understanding the big picture, and will take care of day-to-day issues before they are referred to the CAO. The ideal candidate will bring a strategic perspective, be able to see beyond the immediate pressures, stay focused on the important long-term objectives and have passion for public service and a strong commitment to effectiveness and efficiency of Government programs, processes, and services.
The ideal candidate will be ethical, approachable, trustworthy, apolitical and committed to excellence and delivery of meaningful results for taxpayers in Montgomery County. S/he will communicate openly, honestly and collaboratively with a diverse group people, expertly promulgate and implement a long-term mission, vision and strategy and provide new ideas and innovation through change management processes that improve the efficiency and delivery of effective county programs and services.
Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism and public relations, including understanding of requirements of various media
Plans, directs and implements program of public information to increase public understanding and support of county Government programs and service, through a variety of office publications of other departments, and cable television programming;
Plans, organizes and implements multimedia publicity event for special or ongoing initiatives and issues;
Ability to acquire knowledge of, the organization, functions, and operations of Montgomery County Government, Montgomery County Council and bi-county, State, and Federal agencies which deal with the County;
Effective team builder and collaborator, strategic -partner working to build relationships with elected and appointed officials of the county, bi-county, State, and Federal agencies in an advisory capacity and also with officials of any groups and organizations interested in Montgomery County government and its operations;
Expert ability to work with diverse groups of people;
Ability to write creatively on a wide range of subjects and capture the audience attention when speaking
Courageous and motivating ability to supervise, train, evaluate and support professional, technical, and clerical staff;
Transformative ability to innovatively develop, implement and manage county policies, procedures, and processes.
Master’s Degree in journalism, public relations or related field, plus seven years demonstrated experience in journalism, public relations or related field, with at least four years in a managerial or supervisory capacity which include responsibility for fund and budget administration, program planning, implementation and administration. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
About Montgomery County Government
Located adjacent to the nation’s capital, Montgomery County is the most populous county in the state of Maryland and one of the most diverse counties in the nation.
The County Government is composed of the Executive and Legislative branches. The Executive Branch implements and enforces Montgomery County's laws and provides executive direction to the government. Its chief executive officer is the County Executive. There are over 30 executive branch departments and agencies that help to deliver services to over 1 million county residents. Montgomery County is proud of the services it offers. These include some of the best in the nation, which we strive to deliver in keeping with our Vision Statement and Guiding Principles.
Montgomery County’s newly elected County Executive has outlined seven Priority Outcomes for the County’s future:
• Thriving Youth and Families – Children need great schools, supportive families, and caring communities to help them succeed in life. We can give them the start they need by providing adequate funding for public schools, access to affordable early childhood education and expanded high school options, and support for programs that relieve stress... on families through increased access to affordable housing and better-paying jobs.
• A Growing Economy – A healthy business community is essential to our success. We will reinvigorate the county’s direct involvement in economic activities by re-examining our regulations to make sure they are sensible, fair, and efficient; opening support centers that help both new and existing businesses; and developing an incubator and innovation climate to help local entrepreneurs bring their ideas into the world.
• A Greener County – We recognize the urgency of global warming and will take concrete steps to address climate change. County government has committed to zero Greenhouse Gas emissions by 2035, an ambitious – but achievable – target. We will reduce our footprint by pursuing clean energy, energy efficiency, enhanced building design, reduction of waste, and developing a better transit system for our residents.
• Easier Commutes – Moving people and goods more efficiently is an economic imperative and is essential to our quality of life. We will reduce traffic congestion by improving transit options, supporting Metro, encouraging telecommuting and implementing common-sense road improvements.
• A More Affordable and Welcoming County – We will focus on initiatives that make Montgomery County a place where all residents can pursue their dreams regardless of race, ethnicity, age or economic circumstances.
• Safe Neighborhoods – We will address crime and pedestrian safety issues and seek input from communities across the county on ways to address these issues. We plan to enhance opportunities for walking, biking, and creating neighborhood gathering places.
• Effective, Sustainable Government – We will partner with county employees to make County Government more cost-effective and to deliver services more efficiently and responsively.