Montgomery County is seeking to fill the Director for the Office of Human Resources. The position is appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. This position is accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The Director of the Office of Human will be responsible for directing the operations of the Office Human Resources, integrating a broad range of human resources functions, covering such functions as, recruitment/staffing, equal employment opportunity, classification and compensation, health and wellness, training and organizational development and occupational medical services. The work of directing the human resources program is essential to the mission of the County Government and affects all employees and departments in the County government.
The candidate will have high expectations of himself/herself and other staff, pay attention to detail after understanding the big picture, and will take care of day-to-day issues before they are referred to the CAO. The ideal candidate will bring a strategic perspective, be able to see beyond the immediate pressures, stay focused on the important long-term objectives and have passion for public service and a strong commitment to effectiveness and efficiency of Government programs, processes, and services.
The ideal candidate will be ethical, approachable, trustworthy, apolitical and committed to excellence and delivery of meaningful results for taxpayers in Montgomery County. S/he will communicate openly, honestly and collaboratively with a diverse group people, expertly promulgate and implement a long-term mission, vision and strategy and provide new ideas and innovation through change management processes that improve the efficiency and delivery of effective county programs and services.
Experience and knowledge of advanced principles and practices of human resources management;
Extensive knowledge of Federal, State and county law and regulations affecting personnel, equal employment, and benefits;
Knowledge of local government functions and organizations;
Demonstrated ability to negotiate agreements which accommodate conflicting interests and viewpoints of numerous groups and organizations;
Implements management policies and procedures and the provisions of the Personnel
Build strong and successful strategic-partner relationships with inter-organizational and external stakeholders;
Effective team builder and collaborator;
Expert ability to work with diverse groups of people;
Courageous and motivating ability to supervise, train, evaluate and support professional, technical, and clerical staff;
Transformative ability to innovatively develop, implement and manage county policies, procedures, and processes.
Master’s Degree in Personnel, Public Administration or related field, plus seven years demonstrated experience in human resource administration, with at least four years in a managerial or supervisory capacity which include responsibility for fund and budget administration, program planning, implementation, and administration.
An equivalent combination of education may be substituted.
About Montgomery County Government
Located adjacent to the nation’s capital, Montgomery County is the most populous county in the state of Maryland and one of the most diverse counties in the nation.
The County Government is composed of the Executive and Legislative branches. The Executive Branch implements and enforces Montgomery County's laws and provides executive direction to the government. Its chief executive officer is the County Executive. There are over 30 executive branch departments and agencies that help to deliver services to over 1 million county residents. Montgomery County is proud of the services it offers. These include some of the best in the nation, which we strive to deliver in keeping with our Vision Statement and Guiding Principles.
Montgomery County’s newly elected County Executive has outlined seven Priority Outcomes for the County’s future:
• Thriving Youth and Families – Children need great schools, supportive families, and caring communities to help them succeed in life. We can give them the start they need by providing adequate funding for public schools, access to affordable early childhood education and expanded high school options, and support for programs that relieve stress... on families through increased access to affordable housing and better-paying jobs.
• A Growing Economy – A healthy business community is essential to our success. We will reinvigorate the county’s direct involvement in economic activities by re-examining our regulations to make sure they are sensible, fair, and efficient; opening support centers that help both new and existing businesses; and developing an incubator and innovation climate to help local entrepreneurs bring their ideas into the world.
• A Greener County – We recognize the urgency of global warming and will take concrete steps to address climate change. County government has committed to zero Greenhouse Gas emissions by 2035, an ambitious – but achievable – target. We will reduce our footprint by pursuing clean energy, energy efficiency, enhanced building design, reduction of waste, and developing a better transit system for our residents.
• Easier Commutes – Moving people and goods more efficiently is an economic imperative and is essential to our quality of life. We will reduce traffic congestion by improving transit options, supporting Metro, encouraging telecommuting and implementing common-sense road improvements.
• A More Affordable and Welcoming County – We will focus on initiatives that make Montgomery County a place where all residents can pursue their dreams regardless of race, ethnicity, age or economic circumstances.
• Safe Neighborhoods – We will address crime and pedestrian safety issues and seek input from communities across the county on ways to address these issues. We plan to enhance opportunities for walking, biking, and creating neighborhood gathering places.
• Effective, Sustainable Government – We will partner with county employees to make County Government more cost-effective and to deliver services more efficiently and responsively.