The Lab School of Washington
Our Mission: The Lab School of Washington is an innovative learning community fostering scholarship and creativity in students with language-based learning differences. In an environment of inquiry and hands-on exploration, Lab School students learn to advocate for themselves as they become engaged and compassionate members of a global society.
For 50 years, The Lab School of Washington has been providing an exceptional, college-preparatory academic experience for bright students (grades 1-12) with ADHD, dyslexia, and other language-based learning differences. Our innovative, arts-infused curriculum is experiential and multi-sensory, helping young people to overcome difficulties with reading, spelling, writing, and math, while preparing them for a range of rewarding college and career choices. You can learn more about Lab at www.labschool.org.
Definition of Position
The Purchasing Manager reports to and works closely with the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations, and supports the administrators, teachers and staff in sourcing classroom and administrative materials and supplies, technology hardware and software, furnishings and other equipment essential to the running of the school. This person identifies and purchases the materials needed at the best pricing and in a timely, and ethical fashion.
This is a part-time, year-round position.
Identify, Evaluate and Fulfill Needs
- Establish base inventory of supplies to be kept on hand for staff use, update inventory as it is used, reorder as necessary,
- Respond to administrator, teacher and staff requests for materials – ascertaining if such are already available in inventory, if best products, vendors and pricing needs to be researched, if request is within budget,
- Order and ensure delivery and installation of what is needed.
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials,
- Identify criteria for product and vendor selection – reliability and appropriateness of product, sustainability, timely delivery, customer service, price,
- Keep current on trends in sourcing sustainable materials,
- Research best vendors for myriad products,
- Establish preferred vendors, but put even those out for bid at least every three years.
Maintain Detailed Records and Financial Analysis
- Prepare and process requisitions and purchase orders,
- Process orders, keep track of deliveries, and present invoices for payment once goods are received. Follow up on delayed deliveries.
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received,
- Maintain MSDS files,
- Analyze purchasing year over year and make recommendations for improvements.
Manage to Budgets
- Keep track of, and stay within, departmental purchasing budgets.
- Work with department heads to ensure they have the information they need to stay within budget.