NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor of Animal Husbandry.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for establishing work hours for employees, assigning responsibilities amongst staff, and monitoring their work. The candidate will evaluate and document staff performance, record and report personnel counseling, train staff and encourage a program of staff development, monitor the animal research housing and support areas for safe environment and conduct of research, and proper/safe disposal of materials involved in research. The candidate will also monitor and maintain the physical plant for DLAR, maintain inventory levels for all husbandry supplies in the department and oversee the maintenance of documentation for animal maintenance to ensure compliance. This position interacts with Principal Investigators to provide timely protocol support services.
- SCHEDULING OF STAFF - Defines the expected outcome and time of completion clearly to the employee.Communicates the objective of the assignment to the employee. Institutes appropriate follow-up with the employee to ensure that the desired outcome is reached.Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in a timely fashion and makes all allowances for individual initiative.Allocates resources appropriately so that task can be accomplished.Distributes assignments equitably.Monitors manpower and efficiencies; makes necessary adjustments and reassignments according to workload demands.Completes and maintains all timekeeping records.
- SUPERVISION OF STAFF - Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and reports same to supervisor. Explains to the employee clearly what his/her responsibilities are and the standards of performance.Offers guidance for improving performance to the employee.Brings to the employees attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and time frame for correction.Approaches the review process constructively and conducts it in accordance with Human Resources and departmental guidelines and procedures.
- STAFF DEVELOPMENT - Ensures that policies and procedures are up-to-date, well-organized, and easily accessible.2.Encourages staff to pursue higher education and seek professional growth.3.Distributes educational material/literature to the staff as it becomes available.4.Trains staff effectively and maintains detailed records of performance and training status probationary employees.
- PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT - Provides a safe working environment for all employees, investigators, and their staff. Monitors safety records on an ongoing basis, investigates accidents, and correct safety hazards.Oversees the maintenance of major equipment such as rack washers, autoclaves, automatic watering system sterilizer, etc.Plans and monitors sanitation, nutrition, and caging of animals to ensure compliance with departmental standards.
- MAINTENANCE OF PHYSICAL PLANT - Maintains a current awareness of regulatory requirements pertaining to environmental and plant conditions for housing of animals. Reports all environmental and plant conditions that are inappropriate in a timely fashion. Meets with Plant and Maintenance Representatives and outlines needs and/or necessary revisions.
- INVENTORY FILES - Determines appropriate level of food, bedding, cage wash chemicals, caging, accessories, etc. needed. Evaluates existing equipment to assess feasibility; makes recommendations for modifications or upgrade as needed. Oversees the receipt and housing of animals. Coordinates the logging, arrangement of available housing facilities, proper care identification to ensure efficiency and regulatory compliance.
- REGULATORY COMPLIANCE - Maintains a current awareness of governmental regulatory and peer review requirements and guidelines. Maintains physical plant according to department, USDA, NIH, and related federal, state, and local guidelines. Initiates corrective action, if necessary.
- LIAISON WITH PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS - Alerts the Veterinary Services Staff on animal health related matters, individual animals in pain or distress or experiments causing problems related to the animal's well being. Provides assistance to investigators with specific problems on equipment, caging, and animal husbandry. Responds to changes as they occur in research testing schedules. Provides timely, high quality, and other complex response(s) on short notice to meet quality, and other complex response(s) on short notice to meet research needs. Ensures that Principal Investigators comply with guidelines concerning removal of an animal from the facilities area and proper disposal of animal remains.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To qualify you must have a BS in Animal Science, Biological Science or a recognized equivalent life sciences discipline, preferred.
- AALAS Certification at the Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATg) level, and 3-5 years experience in laboratory animal science.
- An additional 2+ years of related supervisory experience within a laboratory animal research facility.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of the regulations and requirements of Federal, State and local government agencies as well as safety standards as they apply to laboratory animal care.
- Must be able to interact with associates in other disciplines effectively.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.