Quality Care Our Heroes DeserveNow is the time to take your career to the next level and become part of the high-caliber talent that is VA. Experience what 300,000 current VA employees already have state-of-the art practice settings, access to the latest technology, a multi-disciplinary team environment and the opportunity to provide the men and women who have bravely served this country with the finest patient care, benefits and customer satisfaction. And with VA Patient Satisfaction Scores leading the healthcare industry, youll be joining one of the most respected facilities in the Nation.
This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program. Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
WHO MAY APPLY:
- Recent (within 2 years) graduates of an ABET-accredited Engineering degree program; or
- Current students who will receive a Bachelor's (or higher) degree in Engineering by May 30, 2017; or
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
Selected applicants are placed in a one-year excepted service, career developmental program which may include specialized training, rotational assignments, and other developmental activities. Participants who successfully complete the program may be converted to a competitive serviceterm or permanent position. To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
1) Have successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program;
2) Demonstrate successful job performance consistent with the performance appraisal program that results in a rating of record of at least fully Successful or equivalent and a recommendation for conversion by the first level supervisor;
3) Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the competitive position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Hospital is seeking entry-level Engineers under the Pathways Recent Graduate program.This is a developmental position with the potential to be promoted to the full performance level at the GS-11.Incumbent works under closer supervision and works in a developmental capacity performing assignments and completing training, both of which are aimed in preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties outlined in the job description. The incumbent receives progressively more responsible assignments as experience and training are received to the next higher level position.The duties of the full performance position include but are not limited to:
- provides professional engineering services (including design calculations) related to the layout, design, development, and completion of construction projects, and non-recurring maintenance projects;
- conducts continual program reviews and makes recommendations to the Chief, Engineering Service for improvements and modifications;
- serves as a resource of engineering theories and applications for other staff;
- is responsible for inspection of projects during construction, preparing necessary reports, checking blueprints and specifications, and for taking corrective action as indicated;
- prepares contract drawings, sketches and as-built drawings in AutoCAD;
- ensures that all standards and regulations are followed in the designs as well as assuring the competency of the design;
- reviews and approves/disapproves material and equipment submittals;
- prepares necessary documents for progress reports, partial payments, change orders, etc.; and
- acts as liaison with architects/engineers, supervising the design process which includes coordinating work between hospital personnel and design firms.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 07:30am-04:00pm
Position Description Title/PD#: General Engineer/518-00368-A, 518-00182, 518-00183, 518-00184
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Bring your expertise to VA and be valued as part of a team that is recognized and respected for significant contributions to medicine. Youâ??ll enjoy a patient-focused environment, terrific benefits and incentives, and the ability to practice at any VA facility in the country.
Equal Opportunity Employer