Union Level: Department: President Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301207P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours. Position End Date: Open Date: 11/27/2017 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: Financial Aid Counselor I is responsible for analyzing student/parent financial aid documents, determining eligibility for financial assistance, recommending or determining appropriate financial aid for special programs while working in conjunction with their supervisor. Provides counseling and advising to students and parents regarding financial aid eligibility, procedures, and college financing options for the purpose of retention and recruitment.
Essential Functions: 1. Analyzes complex student/parent applications and financial documents.
2. Resolves student/parent information discrepancies and reassess aid packages to determine any impact on students eligibility.
3. Determines students eligibility for financial assistance through analysis and interpretations of data obtained from financial aid applications in accordance with state, federal and University polices governing financial aid.
4. Recommends appropriate aid package based on students circumstances and/or appeal, in many instances using their Professional Judgment as defined by Federal Regulations.
Performs professional judgment in individual cases regarding cost of attendance, family contribution, dependency status and other allowable data elements.
Reviews and evaluates supplemental documentation or information provided in appeals for adjustment or exception to financial aid awards and decides validity of appeals.
5. Manages and recommends appropriate aid packages for special programs as assigned which may include Study Abroad, Engineering Co-Op, MAIR, Tuition Remission, etc. with oversight of their supervisor.
Participates and assists in development and strategizing on program development to meet federal regulations for aid delivery.
Coordinates delivery of student award notifications.
Collects, interprets and disseminates current technical information regarding specific program responsibilities.
6. Coordinates private student loan processing, certification and disbursement of over $3.6 million.
Interfaces with lenders resolving problems/issues for students.
Serves as a liaison with a variety of private lenders.
7. Reviews awards to ensure compliance to government rules and regulations looking for over-awards as well as under-awards.
8. Corresponds individually to student/parent regarding financial aid eligibility, procedures, costs, indebtedness, and college financing options and individualizes information to the particular needs and situations of the students.
9. Participates in outreach activities regarding federal financial aid, scholarship or work-study as assigned or requested.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
B.S. or B.A. degree,
Two (2) years experience in the area of financial aid, student accounts, student loans, financial analysis and evaluation, banking.
Preferred Qualifications: Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Experience analyzing and evaluating complex financial documents.
Ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of federal, state and University financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures gained through research.
Ability to collect appropriate documentation to support additional financial aid.
Excellent oral, written and customer service communication skills.
Positive attitude and ability to work successfully with diverse populations and a commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Skills needed to coordinate and organize multiple complex projects and tasks and the ability to manage competing deadlines.
Experience in a highly automated office environment.
Functional use of computers and use of standard office software programs, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
Banner knowledge and experience highly preferred.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking across campus, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed during standard business hours.
Hiring Range: Min $17.17 per hour to Mid $22.48 per hour, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni Sc...hool of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented. Explore University of the Pacific www.pacific.edu