Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is seeking applicants for research staff members to support a growing body of programs in data analytics, wireless and digital communications, and space systems. The candidates will conduct research that primarily focuses on supporting the national security community. Consequently, US citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required. Entry-level and mid-career individuals are sought. This position is as a research staff member of the Hume Center, within the Electronic Systems Laboratory, with the opportunity to work on a range of dynamic research projects. This position is focused on individuals with expertise in digital communications, wireless systems, and radar platforms. Successful applicants will have experience with digital signal processing and software-defined radio technologies, with applications in military radar, tactical/public safety communications, electronic warfare, and/or satellite communications. Experience with algorithm design, FPGA development, embedded DSP development, multi-threaded programming, GPU development, SDR hardware platforms, and Linux-based designed tools is desired. Specific experience using MATLAB, GNU Radio, HDL Coder, REDHAWK, X-MIDAS, VHDL/Verilog, C++, and python is desired. Specific responsibilities include the following: (1) support the execution of university sponsored programs by conducting research and development; (2) author technical documents and publish peer-reviewed academic papers; (3) support the development of new funded research programs by participating in and proposal teams and supporting the business development activities of the Hume Center; and (4) provide mentorship to students and junior researchers working on programs. Those appointed to the rank of Senior Research Associate or Senior Research Scientist have additional responsibility for (5) leading program development efforts and serving as principal investigator on research efforts. Those appointed to the rank of Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist have additional responsibility for (6) serve in a supervisory capacity for students and junior researchers.
- Given the nature of the research conducted and requirement from the federal sponsor, candidates must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- For the ranks of Research Associate : An earned Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline;
- For the ranks of Senior Research Associate, Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist: an earned Doctorate degree in Aerospace Engineering Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline;
- For the ranks of Senior Research Associate and Senior Research Scientist: experience serving as a principal investigator in a research and development environment and demonstrated leadership in developing and executing research programs;
- Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience; appointments at the rank of senior research associate require demonstrated excellence in research and development; appointments at the rank of senior research scientist require demonstrated excellence in the leadership of a portfolio of research and development programs;
- Experience with conducting research and development; appointments at the rank of senior research associate and senior research scientist require experience in providing research leadership to programs in these areas;
- Proficiency with the tools germane to field of research;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects.
- Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level;
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population;
- Experience working in an academic environment;
- Experience conducting research programs supporting the federal government.
Employee Category: Research Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Accessibility at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfil...ls its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).